Monday, July 6, 2009

Life on the Homefront

I wanted to take a break from the normal chronological flow of this journal and devote a self-standing entry to describing life here at my home-away-from-home. Now already a few weeks into my stay with the Imbrocks, I realized that many of the amazing benefits of living with such a friendly host family have become such a regular part of my life that I have neglected to write about them. But I by no means want to take these things for granted, nor do I want to keep you in the dark any longer.

Mmm...do you smell that? That's the aroma of delicious home-cooking emanating from the Imbrock's kitchen. Every night, I arrive home from work to great food and great company, sharing dinner and conversation with Dave and Sue. If it wasn't already enough to have my meal prepared for me and to have others to enjoy it with, check out what has been on the menu: veal, souffle, casseroles made with home-grown zucchini, turkey and mashed potatoes, chicken, green beans, shrimp primavera, beef, pork, rice, nachos, pasta, quiche, fruit salad, fresh watermelon, apple and rhubarb crisp, chocolate cake, five different flavors of ice cream, cappuccino custard, and much more! Done with your plate? Just set it on the floor and Barnie and Bailey will wash it for you. As for breakfast, I typically help myself to steaming coffee, oatmeal, and "pain chocolat" (croissant with chocolate on the inside). The Imbrocks usually have sandwich meats and a fresh baguette with which I can make my lunch for the day, but if perchance I don't have time to do so, the WHO cafeteria offers partially subsidized gourmet meals that are almost as good as Imbrock home-cooking.

What you probably don't smell, however, is my dirty laundry. That's because the Imbrocks have been taking care of that as well. If they're washing their clothes, they'll throw mine in, too. I don't have to save quarters, I don't have to share a washing machine with dozens of other housemates, and I don't have to cycle through the same shirts 15 times before wondering if perhaps they're too dirty to be worn outside the house. Speaking of outside the house, if I'm ever stranded somewhere, or in a crunch to make a bus on time, Dave and Sue have been kind enough to give me a lift (though I try to get myself around as self-sufficiently as possible). They've also lended me maps and travel advice for my weekend excursions.

And that's not all. I can't forget to mention the 24/7 access to television news streamed live over the internet that keeps me informed of what's happening outside of my Geneva bubble. Or conservative (!) radio playing in the living room. Or just the feeling of coming back not to an apartment or a hostel or a dorm, but an actual home. And, best of all, coming back to people who share my faith and who have never ceased to demonstrate cheerful hospitality and generosity. All in all, I can honestly say that my housing situation here has turned out to far exceed any of my hopes, prayers, or expectations, and for that I am incredibly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. You, my friend, are still a lightweight. Remember that.

    ReplyDelete